Hong Kong Watch in the media
Hong Kong Watch is a leading voice on human rights in Hong Kong. Our reports have received significant media attention. In this page, we have collected examples of references to the work of Hong Kong Watch.
Political Screening in Hong Kong
Coverage of Hong Kong Watch's report on the disqualification of candidates and lawmakers included:
- New York Times, 'Hong Kong's pro-democracy bloc loses seat in key election'
- Reuters, 'Hong Kong by-election seen as protest vote against China control'
- Associated Press, 'Election gauges Hong Kong's stomach for defying Beijing' (syndicated to Washington Post and other outlets)
- Hong Kong Free Press, 'Cancel Hong Kong’s by-election and reinstate disqualified lawmakers, UK-based watchdog urges'
- Radio Free Asia, 'Hong Kong's Debarring of Pro-Democracy Lawmakers Casts Doubt on Poll: Report'
Dr Kevin Carrico, Academic Freedom in Hong Kong
Coverage of Hong Kong Watch's report on academic freedom in Hong Kong included:
- Kevin Carrico, South China Morning Post (op-ed), Hong Kong leader’s role as university chancellor must end to protect academic freedom
- Guardian, 'Academic freedom at risk at Hong Kong's universities, says report'
- Times Higher Education, 'Academic freedom in Hong Kong 'under threat''
- Insider Higher Ed, 'Report on Academic Freedom in Hong Kong'
- Hong Kong Free Press, 'Growing push to limit academic freedom in Hong Kong after Occupy protests, says new UK watchdog report'
Lord Ashdown, Report on visit to Hong Kong
Coverage of Lord Ashdown's trip report included:
- Guardian, 'Human rights undermined in Hong Kong, says Ashdown'
- South China Morning Post, 'British peer dismisses Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam’s criticism of NGO report as ‘overreaction’'
- South China Morning Post, 'Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam blasts UK group’s ‘unfounded and unfair’ report on city'
- Benedict Rogers, Hong Kong Free Press, 'Carrie Lam: Lord Asdhown's report is not foreign meddling, it just reflects Britain's commitment to the handover'
Other media mentions
Other notable coverage of the activities of Hong Kong Watch include:
- New York Times, 'Hong Kong Activist Edward Leung Given 6 years for police clash'; The Telegraph, 'Leading Hong Kong activist jailed'
- Reuters, 'Leading Hong Kong independence activist convicted of rioting'
- Hong Kong Free Press, 'UK watchdog urges fair trials for Hong Kong activists; suggests stripping Justice Sec. of prosecution power'
- Reuters, 'European Union voices concern after Hong Kong bars election candidate'
- South China Morning Post, 'Hong Kong’s leader rejects foreign criticism over barring of democracy activist Agnes Chow from legislative by-election'
- China Uncensored, 'Interview with Benedict Rogers'